6.4.05

teachers

Sometimes a day comes along in which I don't really want to blog, or rather, I don't really have anything specific I need/want to blog about, but there are continuous peripheral thoughts relating to a certain subject matter vis-a-vis myself, and I feel compelled to address them.

Today's lesson is about teachers.

While I find the teaching profession one of the most noble (and potentially one of the most rewarding, though I can't say it is the most rewarding because I haven't been a teacher...yet. And, ya know...this gig ain't too shabby), I am made painstakingly aware as each day passes that it is most certainly a profession which I have little desire to enter into at this time.

This temporary conclusion comes after many conversations with and observations of my girlfriend and friends' (non) lives. For starters, Nicole comes home everyday looking like she just ran a marathon on beans and a nap. Secondly, she rarely has the energy to do much (sad face) and her weekends are spent planning next week's lesson. This might have a lot to do with the fact that she was hired as a 9th-grade bio teacher in a mostly-Spanish-speaking HS and she neither studied biology nor teaching beforehand.
But still, no thanks.

My friend Molly works at a special high school tucked away in the Rocky Mountains, which I'm sure is heaven and a dream come true. But seeing as how her work week averages 80 hours, she might as well be a prisoner at Alcatraz.
She can see, hear, and smell the Barbary Coast, but she can't go out and play.

Friends Randy and, newly, Dan might have it better off not working in a crappy urban district nor with kids like Molly's (although their district/school is still really bad) but, nope. It seems that their lives, too, are consumed by their work; from the 'miracle moments' to the disappointments, to the people they date and befriend, being a teacher has become their raison d'ĂȘtre.

I should point out again, for fear of backlash from said individuals, that A) they are good strong people who are living life optimistically, doing their best, etc; B) I am proud of these individuals and want to thank them for their service; and C) I, at some point, also want to join this special clique, and not just for clique-membership's sake.

In addition, I hold special reverence for my own teachers. I remember quite vividly those who played a large part in my education and development, especially my second grade teacher, Mrs. Flohr. She believed in me down to her core and provided me with the tools I have used throughout my life (I even plan on relegating part of one of my children's name to "Flohr").

I truly believe in the power of the classroom and I am fully aware of my destiny to be an educator of some sort. In fact, I almost was committed to two years working with special education students in Anacostia! But at this time I feel damn happy having a balanced, outside life.

No, no no. A real balanced, outside life.

No comments: