19.7.05

screen on the green

I just love when people have good ideas that actually happen. I mean, I know "good" is a judgment so really what I'm saying is that I believe certain ideas are good, or better, than others. I don't really think ideas are bad in a sense that everything is a learning experience so how can an idea be 'bad' or 'wrong' I mean except if you stuck a fork in your eye and then hit it with a rubber mallet. That is probably a bad idea. Or maybe not...it would teach you a valuable lesson about forks and mallets.
OK so one of the better ideas I've seen in a while. OK well, there's two because I just thought of another one. The one I just thought of is PODS. Not iPods. PODS. Personal On Demand Storage.
Some people, like me, aren't made of money. I mean, I wish, sort of. That might not be the best thing, though--to be made of money. But since I'm not anyway who cares. So the PODS people bring this U-Haul-sized metal box to your doorstep and drop it off. Then you can pack it at your leisure, with no deadline. Then the PODS people will take it to where ever you're moving and you unpack it, etc.! HELLO! Absolutely brilliant. My dilemma has always been having a car but needing a small moving truck. Driving two vehicles at one time, though possible, is impossible.
Another good idea is Screen on the Green, which I attended last night. This isn't necessarily an original or innovative idea, per se, but it's a nice one. The good people at Citi and HBO set up a big screen down on the National Mall and show movies every Monday noche. Last night was the first, and quite poignant "The Way We Were" starring Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand. The fun thing was the fact that 3,000 other people were there, too, on their blankets with picnic dinners, springing up to dance to the flashy, 30-second HBO jingle, laughing at the old Bugs Bunny cartoon intro, giggling at the cheesy gaffes of our heroine and clapping when famous (or seemingly famous--how do we know?) lines were recited, or classic moments took place. Surprisingly, it wasn't a bunch of baby-boomer liberals--it seemed like all of my peers--the fashionable Georgetown crowd, the work-hard/play-hard CapHill crew, the undie U-Street group--had come on down to see this free flick, all with the lit-up Capitol Dome prominently in the backdrop.
It was a good idea and I'd like to thank my corporate sponsors.

No comments: